Who We Are

The Methow Cycle and Sport - Blue Star Coffee Roasters Cycling Team is a competitive element of Methow Valley Cycling. The team is comprised of local Methow Valley residents representing a wide range of age and experience levels. Athletes are selected because of their contribution to the sport and our local community, their potential as cyclists and athletes, and their role as ambassadors to sponsors, supporters and fellow cyclists.

Sunday, October 23, 2011


Wooley Cross
October 22, 2011
Julie Grialou


I participated in my first-ever cyclocross race today, the Bellingham Series’ Wooley Cross in Sedro Wooley.  The race took place on the grounds of an old state mental hospital.  Around the registration area, there were a lot of old, abandoned buildings, kind of spooky - would make a great haunted house site.   
I did a warm up lap on the course.  It was raining, but not cold.  The course was wet with a combination of grassy, muddy, and  gravelly areas.   There was one run up and two barriers that were near the end of the lap.  As far as the race goes, it was a blast!!  I think I missed my calling 20 years ago with cyclocross.  Dealing with mud, tight turns, barriers, etc. , all on a glorified road bike, is a lot of fun.  My bike, a Jake the Snake, handled beautifully.  Coming from a mountain biking background, it’s surprising to me how well those relatively skinny tires can do in loose conditions.  Everyone out there was friendly, encouraging, and accommodating.  I was even offered a Rainier beer at the end of the run-up on the fourth lap.  I told the guy I’d be ready for it on the my 5th (and last) lap.  True to form, the guy handed me a beer the next time I came by.  A few sips hit the spot, and after a few more turns and the barriers, my race was over.




No comments:

Post a Comment