Who We Are

The Methow Cycle and Sport - Blue Star Coffee Roasters Cycling Team is a competitive element of Methow Valley Cycling. The team is comprised of local Methow Valley residents representing a wide range of age and experience levels. Athletes are selected because of their contribution to the sport and our local community, their potential as cyclists and athletes, and their role as ambassadors to sponsors, supporters and fellow cyclists.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011


Starbucks GP Race Report
Cody Cupp
Oct. 2nd


The Starbucks GP course, held in North Bend, was super flat and really bumpy. Many other racers liked it but it wasn’t my type of course at all. I struggled with holding onto the wheel ahead of me through all the long, flat, straight stretches and had trouble powering through all the bumps to keep my speed going.
    
I managed to get a great start and shot out ahead with another junior quickly putting a small gap between us and the rest of the pack. A ways into the first lap I started to drop back a little from him and one other racer who had passed me then quickly fell back into the next group of about 8 to 10. For the most part I stayed up towards the front of the group, taking the lead numerous times, while we tried to chase down the front two.
    
As soon as we came around for our last lap I broke away from the group and managed to create a big gap pulling quite a ways ahead. I kept the distance for a minute or two but once we came into the final stretch the group came chasing me down. I had to sprint as hard as I could to the finish line and just barely managed to hold onto 3rd place for the Cat 3 men.
    
In the last race the junior that was ahead of me beat me by over a minute but at the Starbucks GP I was able to close the time down to only 17 seconds so hopefully next race I will be able to stick with him the whole time and manage to take it at the end. 
c. A Malakoff

No comments:

Post a Comment