Who We Are

The Methow Cycle and Sport - Blue Star Coffee Roasters Cycling Team is a competitive element of Methow Valley Cycling. The team is comprised of local Methow Valley residents representing a wide range of age and experience levels. Athletes are selected because of their contribution to the sport and our local community, their potential as cyclists and athletes, and their role as ambassadors to sponsors, supporters and fellow cyclists.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Port Angeles- Dry Hills XC- Indie Series #1 MTB Race





Cody Cupp:
After being out for about two weeks, the Dry Hills XC race was a great way for me to come back from a concussion. I was hit in the head during a collision at the plate in a baseball game on the 7th. The concussion was serious enough to keep me off the bike for a little under a week but as soon as I was cleared to ride again I got back at it and trained hard. Following the schedule Salomon set up for me, I was able to train hard enough to grab my highest overall placing in the Open/Expert category ever. I won junior expert (since I was the only one) and I took 8th overall. Needless to say, I was pretty happy with how I did.

The course was super fun but definitely the hardest race I have ever done. We raced on the Olympic Dirt Society’s trails, which are primarily aimed at downhill and freeride bikers. The race consisted of three, eight mile laps of steep grueling terrain. It seemed like each uphill pitch got steeper than the last and riders were barely able to make it to the top. Once we finally reached the summit of the never ending climb we were thrown into the epic downhill trail filled with root drops, gap jumps, and plenty of steep, torn up, switch backs that were loaded with mud and it was all I could do to stay on the trail. By the end of the race I was completely exhausted and covered with mud but I still had a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment