Who We Are

The Methow Cycle and Sport - Blue Star Coffee Roasters Cycling Team is a competitive element of Methow Valley Cycling. The team is comprised of local Methow Valley residents representing a wide range of age and experience levels. Athletes are selected because of their contribution to the sport and our local community, their potential as cyclists and athletes, and their role as ambassadors to sponsors, supporters and fellow cyclists.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Washington High School Mountain Bike League State Championship


Keelan Christensen              
Last weekend I drove over to Ft. Lewis to race in the Washington High School Mountain Bike League State Championship in the varsity category. The course was very twisty with a mixture of doubletrack and part of it was around a baseball field. Even though I have yet to race cyclocross, the course looked to me more like a cyclocross course than a mountain bike course. Many others I talked to said the same thing. However, once the race began, the steep sprint climbs and tight corners made it into a fun race. The races I tend to do better in consist of a long steady climb, and a long descent.  This race was the opposite of the races I tend to excel in. As a varsity (expert) racer, I had to do 5 laps, with not much elevation game at all. I ended up placing 3rd in varsity, only 30 seconds away from the 2nd place finisher after about an hour and a half of racing. Still, this was good to get me back into the racing spirit after almost a month of no races. Now, I set my focus on the Chainsmoker in Wenatchee, and then a string of road races on each of the following three weekends. 



No comments:

Post a Comment