Who We Are

The Methow Cycle and Sport - Blue Star Coffee Roasters Cycling Team is a competitive element of Methow Valley Cycling. The team is comprised of local Methow Valley residents representing a wide range of age and experience levels. Athletes are selected because of their contribution to the sport and our local community, their potential as cyclists and athletes, and their role as ambassadors to sponsors, supporters and fellow cyclists.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Ephrata Gran Fondo, March 30, 2012


“To say the Gran Fondo Ephrata is a hard ride is an understatement, even on a nice day. This was not a nice day. It was a day that any sane person would avoid outdoor activities. They surely would not consider riding a bicycle on 80 miles of primitive Central Washington back roads.”

                                                                                    Jake Maedke
                                                                                    Race Promoter
                                                                                    Ephrata Gran Fondo

The race promoter for the Ephrata Gran Fondo promised the ride would be “epic”.  For starters, this is an 80 mile ride at the end of March in Eastern Washington.  That alone is a recipe for epic.  Add to that the fact that roughly half the ride took place on gravel roads or muddy hard-pack, and your epic experience is guaranteed. 

So on Saturday, March 31st, at approximately 0-Dark Hundred, my teammates Joe Brown, Jake Whipple and I threw our bikes on the top of Joe’s car and aimed for EPIC.  Clutching our coffee mugs, we bowed with gratitude as we passed Blue Star Coffee Roasters on our way out of town.   Always good, often necessary.  This was one of those times.

A Gran Fondo is a timed event, not a race.  Tell that to the participants.  There were clearly people who showed up to race—or at the very least put in a good time.  For my part, I had no idea what to expect from this experience.  My goals were to finish and keep the shiny side up. 

Just as we rolled out of town, we encountered the first climb—a steep mud-and-rock infested section of hard-pack.   My plan to stay in low  zone 3 went out the window.  I redlined. Once the climb was over, the course returned to pavement.  The pack was scattered, the faster riders long gone, the rest of us spit out to fend for ourselves.   There were little clumps of three or four riders, but mostly ones and twos.  I was riding solo.

I have ridden many centuries and ultra-distance events, but never one like this.  There were no packs, at least none that I saw.  Nobody worked together-- more like survival mode. This was later confirmed by both Joe and Jake, who, while finishing way ahead of me, also road mostly solo. As pavement turned to gravel and gravel to mud, I would encounter a couple of people riding together, but no groups, no pelotons, no pulls.   Much of the terrain would have made for dicey pack riding anyway, but make no mistake.  On a day like this, misery loves company.  And on this day, there was no company to be had.

The ride had one aid station at the halfway mark.  I re-fueled and quickly hopped back on my bike to avoid letting hypothermia have its way with me.  Twenty miles from the finish, I caught a guy’s wheel (finally!) and we rode in together.   It was nice to share the hailstorm with someone.   Such as it was, we ended up “working together” and managed to pick off five or six riders.

My new buddy and I finished in 6:10, and I was happy to have accomplished my goals.  Best of all, no flats, and no mechanicals.  I ran Schwalbe Marathon Cross tires and they saved me!

81 riders started the day. 67 finished. 5 of those were women, and I finished third among those five.  It’s shaping up to be an epic year!

No comments:

Post a Comment