Who We Are

The Methow Cycle and Sport - Blue Star Coffee Roasters Cycling Team is a competitive element of Methow Valley Cycling. The team is comprised of local Methow Valley residents representing a wide range of age and experience levels. Athletes are selected because of their contribution to the sport and our local community, their potential as cyclists and athletes, and their role as ambassadors to sponsors, supporters and fellow cyclists.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Echo Ridge 30/60 Mountain Bike Race June 11th



Joseph Brown:
On Saturday June 11th, four Methow Cycle & Sport - Blue Star Cycling riders tackled the Echo Ridge 30/60 mtb race held near Chelan, WA. I was registered for the 60 mile event which was decidedly further than what I was prepared for! With our own mtb race coming up, preparation was certainly not happening adequately. On Friday,  the day prior to the race Kona called and asked if I wanted to ride a 2012 prototype carbon 29er. I of course agreed and the bike was delivered late Friday night. After a few minor adjustments, the bike was ready to roll, much more than I was.

When I woke up on race day morning, I felt surprisingly good. Jake Whipple and I carpooled down to the race venue and were greeted by Meg and Dan from Blue Star Coffee Roasters, who were already pulling beautiful shots for racers. It was really great to see them with the La Marzzocho GS3 at a race, producing great espresso. After the typical frantic equipment and food organizing, we rolled up to the pre-race meeting.

As the gun went off, I was bombarded with questions of why I was doing this and how I would do. The first part of the course was a 2.5 mile climb on a service road and since it was a long race, the pace was nice and relaxed. I couldn't believe how well my legs and body felt. I wanted to go harder but knew it was a long day so was content to relax a little.

On one of the first stair step sections, I shifted down to the small chainring and "Pow!!!!" the chain was lodged above the chainstay! Unfortunately, there was nothing that I could do but turn around and roll down to the start in search of an 8mm hex wrench so that I could remove the crankset and ultimately free the chain. Needless to say, my race was over. One thing is for sure, the Kona Carbon 29er for 2012 is going to be amazing!

Jake Whipple:
The Echo Ridge 30/60 in Chelan was the first major event for me this year.  Coming in at 60 miles, it was a good tune up for some of the longer, more difficult races that are to come for me later this summer.  Of most remarkable note on the day was the weather!  After many days of training in the cold, wet Spring we've been having here in the Methow, the sunny and warm conditions that greeted everyone felt fantastic.  The course was fast, rolling, and non-technical.  Consisting of four laps of 15 miles each, there was somewhere around 8000 feet of climbing total. 

I was lucky and had none of the mechanical problems that plagued Joe (another benefit of riding with one gear) and had a mostly smooth race.  The weather did play a factor for me though.  I am often challenged by leg cramps in longer races if I'm not paying close enough attention to my hydration and, sure enough, come lap four the warm weather had it's way with my legs.  The heat and the distracting gorgeous scenery were a great recipe for dehydration.  Debilitating leg cramps are a strange event.  One second your feeling grand, pedaling along, enjoying the view and then the next you feel that small twinge that for tells of impending doom!  Moments later, everything starts to spasm and you can either ignore it and force yourself to pedal through, or get off your bike which, for me, makes it 10 times worse.  All I could do was pretend it wasn't happening (yea, right...) and slam electrolytes and water.  I made it through to 29th overall, and promised myself that next time I wouldn't ignore the advice that so many have given me time and time again: "Drink before your thirsty, and often!"

It was great to see Blue Star with the GS3 right next to the sign-in tent pulling fabulous shots and putting smiles on the faces of the racers!  Thank You!  One other note - I usually get soar feet after riding over 5 hours on trails.  This year I am riding in a pair of Shimano M-315 shoes and they are amazing.  Very stiff, and fit like slippers.  Really.  They're that good! 

Next week it's to Oregon for the Test of Endurance 50 mile.  Thanks for reading!   -Jake Whipple

Julie Grialou:
I was one of 4 team riders who raced at Echo Valley last weekend.  Karla and I were signed up for the 30 mile race, with Jake and Joe being crazy enough to sign up for the 60 miler.  We got to the venue in plenty of time to warm up and check out the scene.  I was psyched to see a fair number of other women warming up – I’m the kind of racer who really enjoys the challenge and camaraderie of having others at my level to compete with.   Meg was there making Blue Star coffee drinks – unfortunately, I was having a bit of a nervous stomach so I chose not to take advantage of a pre-race caffeine fix.

The race was a mass start of about 100 riders.  At the beginning, I got squeezed between two riders and came close to falling.  Made for a bit of a nervous start.  Anyway, my plan was to keep track of the top women, but also not go out too fast.  Heading up the 2-mile gravel road at the beginning of the race, it was clear that one woman was going to be able to hold a faster pace than me.  I settled in with a few men and one other woman (Leah Stralka).  As we got into the single and double track, I kept trading places within this group of riders.  I was feeling good.  At the end of the first lap, a woman rider came out of nowhere and passed us.  She was going strong!  I rode the first half of the second lap with Leah Stralka, and was appreciating having someone to work with and also someone to help keep me focused.  I did start to get cramps in my calf, which was a real bummer.  About half way through the second lap, I pulled away on downhill – I really appreciated my new Schawlbe tires – they held really well in the corners.  That gave me the confidence to let ‘er rip on the ensuing big downhill section in the latter part of the lap.  After one last climb and a not-so-fun uphill gravel road section, the race was over.   Good enough for 3rd place and a cool bike chain bottle opener.

Karla Segale:
Bruised (figuratively) by my turn mishap from the State TT, and literally from mud-wrestling my mountain bike on a training ride earlier in the week with teammate Julie Grialou, my confidence is shaken but not my resolve as I head to the Echo Lake 30 miler.  This is my first 30 mile mountain bike race. 



A big fan of endurance suffer-fests, I am actually looking forward to the race.  The bar is set reasonably low for my performance expectations, so I come into the race eager for the experience and excited that I will have some good practicing time to hone the skills Julie taught me earlier in the week.  (As it turns out, I will have a VERY LONG time to practice).



The 60-milers have already been out for a half hour as we toe the line.  Men and women start and race together for this event, and there seems like quite a lot of us.  As the gun goes off, we head up a 2 ½ mile climb. “Up” being the operative word here.  I come in to the race sleep-deprived and feeling a little off my game.  This is confirmed by my heart rate, which skyrockets to near max in the first ½ mile.  I back off and watch the ladies fade away, and I settle into a still blistering but more manageable pace.



The course is not technical, for which I am grateful.  And beautiful.  That I could notice this may be a tip-off.  I ride with a guy for a while, and he dutifully pulls me up to a few more racers.  Racing with men is really fun.  They are always so encouraging and polite, and this guy is no exception. 



In the middle of lap 1, I am chiding myself for not signing up for the 60-miler.  Wimp, I think to myself.  The last part of the lap is more technical, and the concentration it requires takes its toll.  On lap 2 I catch up with a woman from my former team, Group Health.  It turns out she is Izette Swan, a PT and Cat 2.  “Brutal” she says as I join her.  I don’t know Izette well, but she’s a legend on the Group Health team.  I am riding in a mountain bike race with Izette Swan.  I just caught up with Izette Swan!  Then Izette puts the pedal down and methodically feeds me my lunch, until I can no longer match either her pace or her skill.  Not this race anyway, but that’s the good thing about racing.  There’s always another day waiting for you.



Each race, I am learning more about pedaling a mountain bike.  My teammate’s words ring in my ears as I pick up speed I never imagined.  “Look way further out than you think you need to”.  “Elbows down, butt over the back of the saddle, torso low over the top tube.”  “Keep your center of gravity  low and let the bike do it’s job.  Loosen the death grip on the handle bars.” A lot to remember, but I’m amazed at how much it helps.  I finish—grateful that I only did 30 miles. I complete the race in 3:15:07.5.  Not a stellar finish, mind you, but not bad. My teammate Julie Grialou picks up third place in her division at 2:52:37.5.



I learned a ton, had a great time, and know I will be back.  Thank you Julie!

1 comment:

  1. All you riders are awesome and inspiring. I'm gonna get on my Kona and hit the trails.

    ReplyDelete